Big Orange ranks #1 among truckload, intermodal and logistics providers across the U.S.
GREEN BAY, Wis. (Nov. 11, 2015) – For the 10th consecutive year, Schneider, one of the nation's largest truckload carriers, has been named to the G.I. Jobs® Top 100 Military Friendly Employers® list. This year, Schneider placed number 12 among all U.S. companies and was ranked the highest among truckload, intermodal and logistics providers.
G.I. Jobs® 2016 Top Military Friendly® Employers list honors the top 100 U.S. companies that are doing the most to embrace America's service members and veterans. The survey assesses the strength of a company’s military recruiting program, including the percentage of new hires with prior military service and the policies in place to recognize military service.
"We are the strong, successful company we are today largely because of the men and women in our ranks,” said Rob Reich, Schneider senior vice president and U.S. Army veteran. “To be recognized once again for our commitment to providing careers for service members and veterans is an absolute honor. We are proud to note that 28 percent of the associates we’ve hired in the last year have military experience.”
Schneider’s deep military roots date back to the company’s founder, Al Schneider, a National Guardsman who understood the exceptionally high level of commitment and skill military members bring to their work. This commitment is showcased by the Enlisted Association of the National Guard of the United States (EANGUS), which has presented the “Al Schneider Memorial Award” each year since 1991 to an employer that has demonstrated outstanding support to the enlisted men and women of the Guard and Reserves.
Among numerous other honors, the Department of Defense recognized Schneider with the first-ever “Employer Support Freedom Award” in 1996 for its continued support of deployed associates.
Today, Schneider continues its commitment of providing rewarding careers to those with a military background through specific programs to ease transition and ensure long-term career success, including:
- Apprenticeship Program: Schneider is one of only a few transportation providers certified under the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) Apprenticeship Program, allowing veterans, Guard members and Reservists to receive both their weekly wages from Schneider and their monthly educational benefit payment from the VA (up to $1,266 per month) during the first year of employment.
- The Schneider Military Owner-Operator Program: This initiative provides military personnel with the tools, training and support they need to become successful small-business owner-operators.
- Credit for Military Experience Program: New drivers with experience driving a truck during their service will see 100 percent of their military time converted to Schneider driving experience. In addition, new drivers who served in the military in a nontransportation capacity will see 25 percent of their military time served qualify toward Schneider experience.
Schneider Ride of Pride Driver Jay Hull, an Army veteran with 24 years of service, recognizes the way Schneider treats veterans and the many current military personnel serving in the Guard and Reserve. “The years I put in defending and serving my country mean something to Schneider. It does not go unnoticed.”
In addition to the benefits package Schneider provides to all associates, military personnel can also expect:
- Extended company benefits and differential pay if deployed for up to 18 months
- Excused time off for weekend drill and annual training (no vacation time required)
- Quick-hire process allows active military to apply, interview and be accepted two months prior to separation
- Nationwide opportunities throughout Schneider’s network of offices and facilities
To learn more about Schneider’s career opportunities for current and former military personnel, please visit http://schneiderjobs.com/company-drivers/military.
One of the largest truckload carriers in North America, Schneider has been the top choice of safety-minded drivers for 80 years. With over 75 percent of its drivers getting home weekly or better, Schneider provides professional opportunities that meet the work-life balance needs of today’s drivers and owner-operators.
Schneider is a $3.9 billion company and is ranked a top-paying carrier by the National Transportation Institute. It has been nationally recognized for its support of current and former military personnel. For more information about Schneider career opportunities, visit http://www.SchneiderJobs.com. You can also connect with Schneider on Facebook at www.facebook.com/jobsatschneider or follow on Twitter @schneiderjobs.