GREEN BAY, Wis. (Dec. 21, 2016) — Schneider was recently named one of Heavy Duty Trucking magazine’s Top 50 Green Fleets for 2016. This is the third time that Schneider has been honored with the award since its inception in 2013.
The magazine’s annual list highlights fleets that are leading the industry in the adoption of sustainable practices, policies and technologies. The Top 50 Green Fleets are chosen by the publication’s editors, who consider the sustainability of each fleet’s practices, like fuel economy, alternative fuels and green facilities.
Schneider implements many sustainability and green logistics initiatives, including:
- Low-rolling resistant tires on entire trailer fleet
- Trailer skirting on 100 percent of Van Truckload trailers
- Annual Society of Automotive Engineering fuel-efficiency testing on emerging technologies
- Recycling 12,000 batteries and 160,000 gallons of oil each year
- Retreading 92,950 tire casings per year
- Utilizing tracking technology for trailers and containers to reduce empty miles and save fuel
- Consuming more than 10 million gallons of blended biodiesel annually
"It's an honor to be selected as one of Heavy Duty's Trucking's Top 50 Green Fleets," said Schneider's Executive Vice President, Chief Administrative Officer Steve Matheys. "Green business is good business, and operating sustainably for decades has enabled us to do more with less. It's not just the right thing to do; it's the smart thing to do."
Schneider is a leading transportation and logistics services company providing a broad portfolio of premier truckload, intermodal and logistics solutions and operating one of the largest for-hire trucking fleets in North America.