Schneider — Fact Sheet
Schneider and the Military fact sheet
Schneider Supports Service Members and Veterans by:
- Being committed to hiring people with military experience. Currently, approximately 22 percent of associates hired by Schneider have a military background.
- Ensuring Guard and reserve members are available for their monthly drills, and that associates are not penalized by being required to take vacation or flex time for annual military training.
- Extending company benefits while military personnel are deployed and paying the difference between military pay and Schneider pay.
- Offering initiatives to support the families of deployed associates during their absence and guaranteeing associates’ jobs upon their return from active duty.
- Participating in the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGRÒ) as a 5-Star Employer.
Current and Former Military Employment Assistance Programs
- Military Apprenticeship Program: Schneider is certified under the Veterans Affairs’ Apprenticeship Program, allowing veterans, Guard members and reservists to receive both their weekly wages from Schneider and their monthly educational benefit payment from the VA office, up to $1,431 each month.
- Credit for military experience: Schneider turns military experience into more money, whether or not the service member has military driving experience. Military members discharged in the past 12-24 months or who are actively serving in the Guard or Reserves may receive higher starting pay (but must meet basic driver qualifications and have a qualifying primary specialty).
- 100 percent of time served counts as Schneider driving experience with military truck driving experience (but must meet basic driver qualifications and have a qualifying primary specialty)
- 25 percent of time served counts as Schneider driving experience if it was in a non-transportation capacity
- U.S. Army’s Wounded Warrior Program: Schneider was one of the first employers to join this effort with the Army to assist and advocate for soldiers wounded in service in a variety of ways, including helping them with future career plans and employment opportunities.
The Schneider team also conducts outreach to the VA and U.S. Department of Labor, informing them of career opportunities and encouraging them to share via their established networking and communications channels for people with military experience. Schneider recruiters regularly attend hiring events to share career opportunities for transitioning military.
Additional Schneider Benefits for Current and Former Military
- Schneider understands each service member has different transition needs and accommodates the planning horizon for separation. If the service member needs or wants to have a job waiting upon separation, Schneider will accommodate that need by providing information and an interview prior to separation.
- Schneider honors the Department of Labor’s program allowing service members or veterans separated within the past 90 days to take a waiver of the skills test in lieu of obtaining a commercial driver’s license.
Recognition of Schneider’s Commitment to the Military
- 1991: Enlisted Association of the National Guard of the United States (EANGUS) named Schneider America’s most supportive employer of the Guard and Reserve. Since this was the first time EANGUS presented such an honor, it named the award the Al Schneider Memorial Award. Today the award is presented annually to the employer who shows extraordinary support of those in the Guard and Reserve.
- 1996: Inaugural Employer Support Freedom Award; National Committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve and the Department of Defense.
- 2012: Inaugural Extraordinary Employer Support Award; Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR).
- 2016: On G.I. Jobs magazine’s annual list of Top 100 Military-Friendly Employers every year since 2003 (#1 highest-ranking truckload carrier). Award program transformed into Victory Media’s Military Friendly® honor in 2017.
- 2017: Named to RecruitMilitary/CivilianJobs.com’s annual Most Valuable Employers for Military list every year since 2011 (list ceased production after 2017).
- 2018: Awarded Victory Media’s 2018 Military Friendly® Gold Award.
- 12 Ride of Pride trucks have been presented to Schneider. These specially decorated tractors, built by Freightliner, feature decals representing members of the military, their families and their sacrifices. Each truck is driven by a military veteran and makes appearances at events that celebrate and honor those who have served. Important destinations for the truck (and Schneider) include Wreaths Across America and Rolling Thunder.
To learn more about Schneider’s career opportunities for current and former military personnel, please visit https://schneiderjobs.com/truck-driving-jobs/military