Shipper | Best practices
Bettering your bulk business with a dedicated solution
Improving safety, service and cost with a bulk dedicated solution.
1. Safe. Reliable. Efficient.
This is the trifecta shippers wish to achieve when getting product to market. The transportation landscape is always changing, posing new challenges for shippers to manage. Volatile industry regulations, capacity constraints and managing carriers or a private fleet are just a few of the ongoing issues shippers are left to navigate on a daily basis. These can amount to unnecessary stressors on a shipper, whose core competencies lie elsewhere. One way to combat the unknowns and nuances of transportation is enlisting the help of a dedicated provider to ensure your bulk loads arrive on time.
A dedicated operation provides reliability, efficiency and peace of mind. This allows shippers to spend more time focusing on their core business. To determine if a dedicated solution makes good business sense, shippers should consider what improvements they want to achieve and how the carrier’s capabilities align with their needs.
2. The business case for bulk dedicated.
A dedicated solution can be applied to many bulk shippers’ businesses, but those who have consistent freight volumes, predictable delivery schedules and/or specialized freight will see the largest returns. When these characteristics display regular patterns, it’s easier to uncover strategies to improve efficiencies. Shippers who require longer length of hauls, have a more fragmented network or lack freight density can still realize benefits, but the results may not be as robust.
What a shipper will get in return from a dedicated solution is ongoing capacity and the peace of mind that stems from a dedicated team solely focused on handling business to keep it moving. Shippers don’t have to worry about any unnecessary risk because the carrier is the one that will manage driver performance, routing guides, freight payments and the ability to scale the business when needed.
3. Identify the right dedicated carrier.
When looking to transition to a dedicated solution, finding the right carrier is essential. Choosing a transportation provider who will be the best fit for your business will provide the best overall results. When evaluating carriers, use this checklist to assess whether it would equal a productive working relationship:
- Access to capacity — and the ability to flex as business needs change
- Ability to drive efficiencies and continuous improvements
- Extensive industry knowledge and expertise
- Broad geographic coverage
- Owned assets, such as standard and specialty equipment
- Regular safety and compliance trainings for staff and drivers
- Demonstrated practices and results to drive safe operations
- Strong financial history indicating resilience and ability to invest in equipment
These features indicate the carrier has the breadth of knowledge and capabilities to truly improve a shipper’s bottom line.
4. How a dedicated carrier improves business.
Once the decision has been made to implement a dedicated solution, a carrier will begin to identify opportunities within the supply chain where efficiencies can occur. The carrier will be able to provide visibility and holistic insights into a shipper’s supply chain for broader savings opportunities, going beyond just the transportation piece. Depending on the specific nature of the business, a shipper can expect to see:
- Enhanced predictability of service (including on-time pickup and delivery)
- Reduced cost associated with empty miles and tank washes
- Enhanced safety
- Ongoing reporting and supply chain insights
- Reduced risk exposure, including significant reduction in the risk for contamination
5. Getting back to business.
Transportation is an ever-changing piece of the supply chain puzzle, so turning to a dedicated provider can offer much-needed relief. A single, connected team ensures bulk freight is moved at the pace and standards that business demands — without the need for the shipper to actively manage it. When safety, service and cost are on the line, let a dedicated carrier manage the freight, so you can get back to the basics of your business.
Drive your business forward
Sign up to receive our industry leading newsletter with case studies and insights you can put to use for your business.