Expert rail shipping intermodal transportation
Used to move freight long distances by rail, intermodal transportation offers you truck-like reliability built around your business — giving you more options and more control. As an asset-based provider, we use our own tractors, chassis, containers and drivers to keep your freight on track. And, we go where you go so you can cross North American borders and move along the East Coast and beyond with ease.
Shipping by rail with intermodal service is right for you if:
- Your freight is shipped in full 53' truckload containers.
- Your freight ships to the same locations consistently.
- Sustainability is a supply chain initiative for your organization.
- Your shipments go to and from metro areas or across borders.
- Your shipments travel 300 miles or more.
- Security of the shipments is critical.
See how much you can save with Schneider Intermodal
Payload savings calculator
Save up to 10% with Schneider’s lightweight intermodal solution. Calculate your payload savings potential now.
CO₂ and fuel savings calculator
Use our calculator to find out how much CO₂ and fuel are saved simply by sending your next shipment on the rail.
The Schneider Intermodal advantage
- Move up to 10% more product per load with our lightweight equipment configuration.
- Company-owned containers, chassis and tractors don't leave you relying on third-party availability.
- More than 90% of drays are performed by highly trained company drivers.
- Large North American network of 45+ ramps, and growing — with all major railroads.
Seamlessly ship your Intermodal freight with Schneider FreightPower®
FreightPower is an online marketplace that gives you complete freight management. Register today to keep your freight moving on the rail. Features include:
- Instantly quote and book Intermodal, Truckload, Bulk and LTL freight.
- Freight visibility 24/7.
- Access to load documents.
- Real-time reporting.
We've got any intermodal service you need
Move your freight anywhere throughout North America with ease via our consistent and predictable services, including:
- Eastern core.
- Rail dray.
Shipping near or far, get freight where you need it to be
Get access to challenging and hard-to-serve markets like the Northeast and Florida for up to a third less the cost of over-the-road delivery, without sacrificing service with our Eastern Core service. Get coast-to-coast with ease with Transcontinental service. Or beat traditional transit times with Express services.
Your freight earns priority placement with CSX and BNSF for quick moves on and off the train. Satellite tracking provides total visibility and real-time monitoring. The latest security measures and double-stacked container options keep your loads safe and secure.
Schneider services all of North America with more than 45 ramp locations. Effective in 2023, Schneider will move western rail service to the Union Pacific, meaning expanded lane opportunities.
Schneider Intermodal network map
Rail shipping keeps your freight moving
At the Mexico border
No stopping or transloading at the border with Schneider Intermodal. We keep your freight moving securely (99.9% theft-free) by providing border pre-clearance, shipping in our double-stacked containers plus transporting your freight in Mexico with C-TPAT certified carriers.
To and from Canada
Our capacity options and logistics experience in Canada keep your supply chain moving. No one makes shipping to and from Canada easier or more efficient.
Optimize your dray network
A reliable option to handle your rail dray freight
Our Rail Dray service moves your freight to and from the rail. As a major asset-based intermodal provider, we have the scale, visibility and reliability you need to optimize your entire dray network.