Shipper — Case study
Leading American brewer quenches capacity needs with multimodal service
Schneider deployed a multimodal solution using both intermodal and truckload services to address a brewer’s capacity concerns.
Background: A thirst for more capacity
A leading American brewing company operates 12 breweries and numerous other locations around the country. The company is invested in continually developing it’s breweries and facilities, and in cutting-edge scientific research to brew, package, transport and deliver more than 100 brands in the best way possible. As its transportation needs grew, and driver availability started to tighten, it knew it needed to seek additional capacity to keep product flowing.
Situation: Additional transportation sought to address tapped resources
Lack of available equipment and increasing concern over driver availability places over-the-road transportation at a premium. The company used intermodal for 25+ years, but wanted to explore its capacity options. Given the fragility of the product and surges in freight volumes, it was looking for a solution that was both fast and flexible.
Solution: Implement multimodal solution to deliver capacity
Schneider already hauled product for the brewing company and offered a combination of past experience with the company, solid service, available capacity and competitive pricing.
Schneider’s Customer Service and Operations associates took action before the carrier hauled its first case. Schneider sent a loading process expert to the brewery sites to educate the brewer’s team about proper intermodal loading and unloading procedures, including blocking and bracing and securement of the loads. Schneider recommended load straps to provide additional stability for loads within high elevations. Flexible operations within the breweries and the ability to rework loads to ensure they are blocked and braced properly to prevent airbag deflations ensured a smooth transition from the incumbent carrier to Schneider and shipments didn’t miss a beat.
As Schneider managed steady volume coming out of eight breweries daily, consistent communication was imperative from day one and continues on a daily basis. The Schneider team was quick to respond and gained the brewer’s confidence and trust. Schneider’s Customer Service team provided pickup ETAs, reviewed trailer/container pools, and ensured equipment is in motion and continually offered plenty of equipment for flexible capacity and met surges in demand.
Results: Multimodal solution delivers positive results
The brewing company experienced impressive results stemming from its successful relationship with Schneider:
- Schneider’s thorough training and multimodal service offers the brewing company a ready supply of trailers/containers into which it can load its freight
- Weekly load acceptance, or daily load targets (DLTs), were met 99.9% of the time
- The amount of freight hauled often exceeds the target metric in most markets as a result of available and flexible capacity
- The company declared its startup with Schneider to be the best with a new carrier, customer service or network team to date
- The company expanded service with Schneider from three to eight breweries in a year, moving 100 loads per week on orange equipment
- Schneider received the Intermodal Carrier of the Year Award because of the invaluable startup and daily communication efforts
- Schneider was awarded the Overall Partner of the Year Award, as a result of on-time pickup, trailer pool compliance, award compliance and annual growth
The brewer is overflowing with the full-bodied, refreshing service it receives from Schneider. With several years of solid experience working together, the brewing company knows it can tap into Schneider to hop in when capacity surges and special circumstances arise.
Drive your business forward
Sign up to receive our industry leading newsletter with case studies and insights you can put to use for your business.