Freight class calculator
Save time and money with our free online freight class calculator
Knowing the correct freight class will help you:
- Streamline the shipping process
- Get your freight moving faster
Calculate freight class
*estimation based on 1 pallet
Please note that this calculator provides an estimated freight class based off of the density of the product. In addition to density, your freight's actual classification (as established by the National Motor Freight Classification) will be based on your commodity's demonstrated transportation characteristics, such as stowability, handling, and liability. If you have questions about your freight's actual class, please contact your Schneider representative.
How is freight class calculated?
The National Motor Freight Transportation Association (NMFTA) sets standard rates for every product shipped, providing a uniform price for all carriers to work from. Each product is assigned a freight class number; the higher the number, the more expensive that product is to ship. NMFTA looks at each of the following factors when determining freight class:
- Density - How heavy or solid is your product? Heavier products often have a lower freight class.
- Stowability - How easy or difficult is it too tightly pack your product into a truck? Can it be stacked? Does it easily fit on a standard pallet?
- Handling - How easy or difficult is it to load your product into a truck?
- Liability - Is your product extremely valuable or delicate?